Monday, June 20, 2011

Our Sewing Lessons

Every little girl should learn to sew. There, I said it. I'm bias on the matter. I said that too.

I've been sewing since I could crawl up to the sewing machine. My mother let me make doll clothes when I was Miss Ariana's age. I started sewing clothes for myself when I was 15. I even made my wedding dress. I've loved every minute of it. Well, except the "ripping out because I messed up" part.

Around the time Miss Ariana turned 18 months old, I was having trouble finding dresses that were long enough for my taste. That's when I started sewing for her. I've been creating a good 80% of her wardrobe ever since. She still says there isn't anything as wonderful as a new "Mommy Made Dress." It warms my heart.

For the last several years I've been sewing with and teaching an older teenager the finer points of technique and fashion design. We've been creating gorgeous dresses from scratch. Miss Ariana watches on, happy, but I've noticed she's a pinch jealous of the time I've been spending with our dear Miss M. I set about to fix that.

On a lazy Sunday while I was catching up with my blog reading, I went blog hopping and found several reviews of Mary Frances Sewing by Jane Eayre Fryer. I knew it was just the thing to teach Miss Ariana. And now here we are.

I hope you'll enjoy our adventures in sewing.

xoxo,
Ariana's Mama

4 comments:

  1. We are awaiting our copy of this book with 'bated breath... My own little seamstress says she's hoping you'll post "many pics-turs";-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I thought about you when I saw hardcovers for $2.50 each. I hoped you saw them too. : ) Maybe we can do a sew along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, except that I'd say every child should learn how to sew! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, boys need to know how to sew too. All mine do. I'm doing this project with my daughter, so my thinking runs towards girls.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please say, "Hello!"